Dear Coaching Professionals!
Mother Nature is treating us to some spectacular Fall weather! And, nearly 50 members of the ICF Metro DC Chapter took advantage of some near-outdoor time at the recent Horse Sense for Leaders and Coaches event at Frying Pan Park in Herndon, VA. Here are just a few take-aways from this event that I continue to marinate in.
- When you’ve gotten knocked off your horse, what has allowed you to get back on?
- How do your roots affect you?
- How do you establish a relationship--or do you move too quickly to build one? (Tuckman’s Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing model comes to mind
- Where is power/energy coming from fear? How do we tap into power/energy from a different source?
- In my coaching relationships, where (and to what effect) does anxiety get introduced either consciously or unconsciously?
- How do I empower my clients to do their own work? Where do I over-function?
- Where has my client given up on a dream (a disowned future)? What might benefit from reconnecting to that dream?
- How do I learn from my client what I can do to help them be successful?
- With clients, how do you know when to quit? (When is the session best closed even if the allotted time has not elapsed?) What would cause you to keep working the session, even if all signals indicated “we’re done for today”?
While we were “horsing around” it was a profoundly meaningful experience for many. We’ll continue to look for new venues and new avenues for insight in our Professional Development opportunities. Any suggestions? Let me know.
While Mother Nature continues to play along with us, take a breath, take a walk, take a friend.
Kori Diehl, PhD, MBA, PCC, ACE certified health coach
President, ICF Metro DC Chapter 2017-2018
Upcoming Chapter Events
We are planning a Holiday Gathering. Stay tuned for more details!
Save the date for the following events:
- 1/18/18: Chapter In Person Program: Bechtel Conference Center
- 3/15/18: Chapter In Person Program: Silver Spring Civic Building at Veterans Plaza
- 5/17/18: Chapter In Person Program: Bechtel Conference Center
Special Chapter Announcement(s)
ICF Membership indicates your commitment to the profession and to your clients. But equally important—it is simply an investment in yourself. Renew Online Today!
Community Coaching Coffees
Community Coaching coffees have brought together coaches of all experience levels, training backgrounds and specialties resulting in a great cross-pollination of ideas and perspectives.
There will be a balance of facilitated and free conversation.
The event is free other than your purchase of a beverage or menu item at the venue. Members are welcome to join one or many coffees at the various locations!
Pro Bono Coaching
In an effort to capture how our members are contributing to our chapter, we want to hear where you are donating your time. Please take a moment to tell us if you have done any volunteering so far this year!
Please use our new online form to self report your volunteer hours!
ICF Competency Tune Up -
8 Week Course -
19 CCEU's or 7 Mentor Coach Hours
Fall Sept 11-Oct 30, 2017 - Monday's 10-11:15 am. ET
Offered by web platform Zoom - access by internet and/or phone
- Take your coaching to the next level - Deepen learning about the ICF Core Competencies
- Explore and practice coaching techniques - Demonstrate peer group and learning lab coaching
Julie Shows, MCC and Jennifer Whitcomb, MCC are pleased to offer this program to help you ground and enhance your coaching by exploring and practicing the 11 Core Competencies and PCC Markers. Filled iwth practice open and experiential learning, the program is designed to provide a collaborative, safe place to try on new skills or tune up your understanding of the competencies with a community of peers and certified mentor coaches.
Contact Kat at email@example.com for a registration form
Contact Jennifer @ firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Want your program here? Email email@example.com
Communities of Practice